- Carnegie Report, Fall 2009: Restoring Science to Science Education â€“ Bruce Alberts, professor of biochemistry and biophysics at the University of California, San Francisco, and editor-in-chief of Science magazine, argues that “what is taught in schools today is a caricature of science. Young people need to be introduced to science’s full riches.” He says we have strayed from the mission of “empowering students to learn on their own” and recommends changes to return to it, including strengthening the human resources of states and school districts.
- Boston Globe: Science MCAS Stymies Many
- Response by CPS board member Jonathan King: Real Learning Lost in Chase for Test Scores
- Globe letter: Student Interest Gets Dampened
- Ed Week: Depth Matters in High School Science Studies
- Education Week: The High Stakes in Science Education by Jonathan King – May 7, 2007 [PDF Download]